For this round of Daisy Yellow‘s Building a Rainbow Challenge I am hosting lemon yellow! (As usual, click on an image to be taken to its source.)
Since I wasn’t sick, I haven’t done a whole Pinterest board this time. I did, however, find a recipe from 1809 for making it. Lemon yellow “is a chromate of baryta, made by mixing hot saturated solutions of bichromate of potassa and nitrate of baryta. Wash and dry the precipitates. It is considered superior to chrome yellow.”
(All three of those compounds have MSDS sheets a mile long. I suggest we all take a moment to thank the Relevant Entity that we live in a time when we can mess about with paint without having to fool around with chemicals that want to kill us and eat our brains.)
Incidentally, if you have never tried Moroccan preserved lemons, I strongly suggest you try making some. There’s a copy of Madhur Jaffrey’s recipe here, which I successfully cut down to a reasonable size by squashing one cut-up lemon into a half-pint jar and adding dashes of everything else. The result is wonderful, especially tossed with steamed veggies. It’s lemony and spicy and beautifully well-rounded.
Lemon yellow is mostly notable for its ability to cheer up practically any palette. It’s easily one of the happiest colors on the wheel. Of course, just like super-happy people can be irritating, lemon yellow can come across as brash and overly bright. The secret is to cheer up yourself and suit your mood to your company. Or just find another color, of course.
And last and almost certainly least, the first version of my yellow painting. Which I don’t like very much. But I figured I could show it to you anyway. Because we’re all friends here. I’m actually working on another, with more control this time, and I think I will like it better. I’ll post it when it’s finished.
The silver lettering is a C. S. Lewis quote: “Our passions are not too strong. They are too weak. We are far too easily pleased.”
UPDATE: Here’s the second version. I like it much better. It’s cardboard covered by crumpled phone book pages topped with a couple of strips of a disposable face-washing thingy covered in acrylic paint covered by a layer of tissue (not tissue paper, but actual tissues for your nose) mod podged on. Then stamped and written on.
Update Update: the first version, which did not turn out well, got painted over and I like it much better now. You can see it here. The second version got sent to my Amma. So now they are both making people happy.