And this is the other super-exciting art post. Or not. It makes me happy.
Anyway, yesterday I was poking around online while eating breakfast, and I decided to visit Amy and discovered that she had started one of her awesome free online workshops 15 minutes before! She’ll probably post the video at some point, but I don’t see it now. I don’t like to paint much while Beauty is awake, because she wants to participate and combining a toddler with possibly-toxic acrylic paints sounds like a bad call. But I turned it on anyway and watched and listened in between eating and playing and folding laundry.
And then when she went down for a nap, I tried it myself. And I’m really happy with the result.
It’s way simpler than it looks. Amy had us start by tearing a face out of a magazine or something and gluing it to our painting surface. I suppose you could just paint on the magazine, come to think of it. Whatever. Once you have your face, you mix up some dark skin-tone (red and yellow and a little blue) and cover the face, which looks awful. But as it dries you can see the lines of the face faintly through the paint, and you go in with a dry brush a little white paint and start bringing out the highlights.
I cheated a bit at this point and mixed my white with a little of the skin-tone color, to warm it up, and used some dark brown on the shadows. And I forgot that Amy adds pink or orange to the cheeks. I gave her purple hair because we were talking about purple hair during the class, and because I can only work in shades of brown for so long without feeling bored. And that’s a scarf she’s wearing. I hated the neck and covered it.
It’s just on scratch paper, so I guess at some point I’ll glue it to something and see where it goes. Or not.
Speaking of things on scratch paper, isn’t this cool-looking?
I really like it.
It’s kinda from this, which I also like:
Okay, lemme back up and tell it properly. You may or may not remember that my first lemon yellow painting was a dud. I knew I wanted texture, but I went too far and didn’t have any sort of plan and it was generally a mess. So yesterday I sanded it some, to smooth out some of the over-textured-ness, and painted over it.
I knew I wanted it to have a fish, inspired by some ATC that I saw last week and almost certainly cannot find now. I considered a couple different ways to get it on, but what I ended up doing was very simple. I found a koi fish I liked on pinterest, held a piece of scratch paper up to the screen and traced the main lines in pen, then put a layer of tissue paper (actually one layer of a tissue that you blow your nose with) over the paper and traced it in Sharpie. (I didn’t want to trace directly onto the tissue because then I would get Sharpie on my screen.) Then I mod podged the tissue onto the painting, and the tissue disappeared and the fish stayed! I was a little concerned that the Sharpie would bleed, but it didn’t.
The scratch paper fish, of course, has Sharpie where it bled through the tissue, and I really like the energy it gives it. So cool.