So I’m pregnant. And I am feeling gross. So gross.
I’m not throwing up, at least not yet, but I’m exhausted and queasy and ouchy and it’s not very fun. It gets worse in the evening, which is good because Hero’s home to take care of us, but it does mean dinner has been from Trader Joe’s most nights. But such is life. I expect it’ll clear up eventually.
But. Just because I’m feeling gross doesn’t mean I stop doing art. Apparently. My stamp-carving tools arrived this week, and while I haven’t felt up to anything elaborate I have done some carving. And then I had to make an artwork with my new stamps. Because of course I did.
So I prepped a new spread in my altered book, and started with a layer of collage. I don’t do much collage, but I’ve been thinking lately I should try to do more of it. And I’ve been getting lots of collage supplies from various sources. So I went ahead. Once the spread was more or less covered I used masking tape to between and around various pieces. I liked the sheer quality it had, and the sort of utilitarian color.
(These pictures aren’t really up to par, but snapping pics on my phone was a lot faster and easier than using the real camera, so this is what you get.)
Then I used my little curly flourish stamp, mostly on the masking tape but also on the collage. The shape was inspired by something I saw on a zentangle site, of all things, but it’s a nice curly bit to put places.
Then I added some glitter paint, because why not (why does glitter paint smell funny? none of my other acrylics do) and rubbed on this weird green glaze stuff I picked up as part of a crafting grab-bag at a thrift store. I had been thinking to use gesso over the collage, at least in places, but none of the arrangements worked in my head.
The glaze rubbed off the stamped ink, at last in some places, so I redid some of the stamping.
The other stamp I had carved had started as a quick grid, and then I carved off various corners to get a grid of irregular blobby shapes, for a halftone effect. I used it to add some interest at this stage. The inks were purple and brown, but they just look reddish.
And finally I needed a subject to paint on top. I’m quite fond of birds, and this one was inspired by this design on TattooTribes. It’s currently painted on the side of my house in moss paint (which didn’t work, so I’ll have to wash it off at some point because now it’s just mud) and I figured it would work well here too.
I used white gelly pen to sketch it on and then went over it with acrylic paint. The paint soaked up some of the ink (despite the fact that the ink claims to be waterproof. humph.) but overall I quite like it.
I’m not sure whether it’s done or not, but for now I’m happy to have gotten some art done and I need to go eat something before I fall over.linking: the butterfly effect Paint Party Friday